CrossFit Puerto Rico CrossFit Fuerte San Juan, Puerto Rico
Rest & Play, Enjoy your day!
Creamy Apple Slaw and Grilled Veggies
- 1 very small or half medium-large head cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 cup paleo mayonnaise (2 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt (optional)
Shred cabbage, apple, and carrot in food processor or using mandoline, or the old fashioned way with a good knife (it will just take longer). Squeeze dry with a paper towel and add to a large bowl.
Add green onions and sunflower seeds and stir to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar and mayonnaise. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir gently to coat.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired.Refrigerate 1 hour or more to let the flavors combine and the cabbage wilt.
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small onions trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, layers separated
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 lb asparagus and cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade (in thin ribbons)
- 1 Tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Place two 18-inch square pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil side by side on a flat work surface. (If using regular foil, double it up.) Layer 1/2 of the vegetables, in the order listed above (carrots first), on each piece of foil. If using different vegetables, it is important to layer the heartier vegetables on the bottom and the more delicate on top.
Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour half of the dressing over each mound of vegetables.Fold the top and bottom ends of the foil over the vegetables, then fold the left and right sides until you have a secure square pack.Preheat grill to medium high. Place veggie packs on the grill and cook, without turning the packs, for about 15 minutes. Check the vegetables by carefully opening a pack with tongs. Cover and continue cooking, if necessary, until they are crisp-tender.